The Netherlands is a country in the Eurozone and that’s very important. They usually push for strict fiscal control since it belongs to a group of countries with very healthy economy and low debt. The economy itself is thriving and it’s based on services, technology and clean energy (except for Shell but even them are getting into the game). The Dutch themselves are intelligent, highly educated and very entrepreneurial from a young age. They like to invest and take risks and innovate. Let’s not forget that they were prolific merchants and practically invented partial ownership (shares) with the Dutch East India company listed on the first ever stock market. They also know how to run up a good bubble or two (ahem, see tulips).
Amsterdam is considered to be a startup hub alongside Berlin and Paris and now with Brexit it will probably be more important than London. Eindhoven has the best robotics and AI departments in the area, Delft is a very good university and overall the government likes to stimulate growth. If you are going to be investing in Europe and especially in a country that uses EUR as a hedge to dollar depreciation then read on.
I present here a list of stocks that you can buy using the technique presented here without worrying too much about individual stocks and how much to buy, just do it proportionally top to bottom. The list is comprised of my picks from the 3 Dutch indices AEX,AMX and AScX. What I typically do is that I pick stocks that fit in my investing view and leaving out stocks that I believe are not good for the specific environment like Shell or other stocks that run retail shops etc. Without further ado..
- Heineken (HEIA) owns over 165 breweries in more than 70 countries. It produces 250 international, regional, local and speciality beers and ciders.
- ASML is the largest supplier worldwide of photo Lithography. Their systems are used to make semiconductors and it’s the only provider! *This is my favorite stock.
- Aalberts N.V. (AALB) is a Dutch manufacturer of self-described “mission-critical systems” in the industrial sector.
- Adyen is a payment processor for Netflix, Uber etc and is growing exponentially, it’s the EU competitor of Square Inc.
- Akzo Nobel N.V. (AKZO), is a Dutch multinational company which creates paints and performance coatings for both industry and consumers worldwide. (see not going out of business).
- IMCD is a global leader in the sales, marketing and distribution of specialty chemicals and food ingredients. (see not going out of business)
- Just Eat Takeaway (TKWY) is a Dutch dot-com company specialized in online food ordering and home delivery operating in multiple countries with different brands.
- Unilever (UNA) is a British-Dutch multinational consumer goods company, headquartered in London, United Kingdom and Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Think P&G of EU.
- Prosus (PRX), is the international internet assets division of Naspers. The global investment group is the largest consumer internet company in Europe, and among the largest technology investors in the world, operating across a variety of platforms and geographies.
- DSM is a Dutch multinational corporation active in the fields of health, nutrition and materials.
- Ahold Delhaize (AD) runs supermarkets and online e-commerce sites (bol.com is huge in the area).
- Accell (ACCEL) Group N.V. is a bicycle company based in Heerenveen, Netherlands. They own the bicycle brands Atala, Babboe, Batavus, Carraro Cicli, Ghost, Haibike, KOGA, Lapierre, Loekie, Nishiki, Raleigh, Sparta, Torker, Tunturi, Van Nicholas, Winora, and XLC components. Think green future everywhere.
- Alfen is a company that manufactures everything about electricity smart grids and green energy.
- Amsterdam Commodities (ACOMO) is an international group of companies with its principal business being the trade and distribution of agricultural products.
- ForFarmers (FFARM) is an internationally operating feed company that offers Total Feed solutions for conventional and organic livestock farming. ForFarmers gives its very best “For the Future of Farming”.
- Heijmans (HEIJM) is a major European construction-services business with Dutch-based headquarters.They recently got more government contracts for infrastructure building.
- ICT Group (ICT) you can guess this one!
- Kendrion (KENDR) is the home of electromagnetic actuators and components for passenger cars and commercial vehicles and industrial applications. EV plays anyone?!
- Neways Electronics International (NEWAY) has a big variety of clients in the industrial,medicine, defense, automotive & semiconductor space.
- Nedap activities are organized in the following Market Groups: Lighting Controls, Identification Systems, Education, Election Systems, Healthcare, Libraries, Livestock Management, Locker Management Systems, Power Supplies, Retail Support, Security Management and Specials.
- Ordina (ORDN) is the largest, local IT service provider in the Benelux.
- Signify (LIGHT) is the world leader in connected LED lighting systems, software and services.
- PostNL (PNL) is easy to guess to. They make big profits as the economy shifts to e-commerce (someone has to deliver!).
P.S If you find value in what you are reading please consider subscribing to the newsletter.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is for informational purposes and isn’t financial advice. We cannot guarantee that you will have the same results as we have nor can we guarantee that the information shared here is appropriate for you. This is not financial advice and not given by professionals.